httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Evan Champion" <ev...@nortel.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Long graceful restart time
Date Fri, 01 Jan 2010 23:38:45 GMT
Hi Nick,

There are only about 200 virtual hosts and the document root is on a local (SAN) filesystem,
so I'm not sure that patch will help (the description suggested a large number of virtual
hosts on remote filesystems where the stat takes some time to complete).  The config is large
however, approaching 150,000 lines due to the number of <Proxy> statements providing
different access controls to various parties.

Evan

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Kew [mailto:nick@webthing.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 30 December 2009 11:14
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Long graceful restart time

Evan Champion wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a large Apache proxy server (around 24000 <Proxy> statements spread over
almost 200 listening ports) that I graceful restart once per day to update the configuration
from a database.  Our service monitoring tools indicate that during the graceful restart the
server can take in excess of 1 minute to respond to new client connections.

> Is there anything I can do to work around this?

Do you mean huge numbers of virtual hosts?  Go to bugzilla,
grab the patch from Bug 41887, and apply it.

(it's applied in trunk).

--
Nick Kew