httpd-users mailing list archives

From LuKreme <krem...@kreme.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Apache vs LiteSpeed
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:44:33 GMT
On 15-Jan-2010, at 09:29, Jarrod Slick wrote:
> I'm curious -- why do you think that the results will be inconsistent?  If anything I
would be inclined to think that using localhost would improve consistency as extraneous variables
like network congestion at the time of testing would not be present.

Are all your webpages going to be served only to localhost users? If not, then the test is
completely invalid and only serves to show how the servers respond in a very narrow and very
specific and largely useless setup that does not reflect the real world use in any meaningful
way.

Sure, it's nice to think that 'eliminating network congestion' will make the servers serve
'faster', but faster in an artificial setup does not imply actual speed in a real world installation.

Run thousands of test across multiple connections from multiple sources for each server if
you want to see what the performance is ACTUALLY like.

--
'They think they want good government and justice for all, Vimes, yet what is it they really
crave, deep in their hearts? Only that things go on as normal and tomorrow is pretty much