httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jarrod Slick <jar...@e-sensibility.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache vs LiteSpeed
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:08:31 GMT

On Jan 15, 2010, at 11:03 AM, Eric Covener wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Jarrod Slick <jarrod@e-sensibility.com
> > wrote:
>
>> What about having a private VLAN between a testing machine and the
>> apache
>> machine.  I suppose that would solve the resource separation
>> problem between
>> the benchmarking tool and the web server.  Can you think of any
>> problems
>> with this type of setup?
>
> It doesn't model the traffic real clients would generate very well,
> unless you expect them to be on the same vlan too.

Yes, but the mission is just to see which webserver is "better" in
terms of performance.  So, I should be more specific with my
question:  to the end of determining strictly which webserver is more
efficient do you see any problems with this type of setup?

And another question: how would you do it differently?  Sure, in an
ideal world I could assemble my own botnet and then blast my corporate
network with a gigabit of distributed traffic multiple times for each
webserver -- but obviously in the real world that's not going to happen.