httpd-users mailing list archives

From Devraj Mukherjee <dev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent PHP network connection errors, restart fixes it. What's the cause?
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:26:17 GMT
Hi Mark,

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Mark London <mrl@psfc.mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi - At the top of my php scripts, I have code to connect to our ldap server,
> in order for the scripts to make ldap requests.  I don't have any disconnect
> call in my code.  Lately I have noticed that the apache server will get into a
> state where connection requests will occasionally fail.  When I refresh the
> page, the connection almost always succeeds on the 2nd attempt.   If I restart
> the apache server, the problem totally goes away for a long period of time.
> So I assume that somewhere, something is causing connections to stay opened
> when the script ends, rather than automatically closing them.
>

>From what you describe your LDAP connections are made from PHP and
thus should have nothing to do with Apache. I would suggest that you
might find more answers if you post this question to the PHP list.

> This error occurs with other types of network connections that the script
> makes (besides ldap), so it's not an ldap issue.
>
> How does Apache automatically close connections?  Is there any way to debug
> the problem, i.e. to see if connections are left opened in some way?

As you mentioned above its your PHP script that makes the LDAP
connection not Apache. Apache is not responsible for managing socket
connections that PHP opens.

--
"The secret impresses no-one, the trick you use it for is everything"
- Alfred Borden (The Prestiege)