httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] :Mod rewrite
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:13:29 GMT

On Jan 11, 2010, at 07:52 , pkm2112 wrote:

> Hello experts, need help
>
> From http://clc.ncs.com/inventoryappl, I'm redirected to
> http://server1.ncs.com/inventoryappl.
>
> I want to hide http://server1.ncs.com/inventoryappl.
>
> Instead of display  a dummy url :
> http://s1.ncs.com/inventoryappl
>

> Can it be done with RewriteRule. I'm new to Apache, kindly specify
> configuration.

Questions like this tend to be hiding several levels of assumptions
and/or complexity that's not revealed by the question itself,
however ...

I *think* what you're asking is for the ProxyPass directive, not
mod_rewrite at all.

ProxyPass /inventoryappl http://server1.ncs.com/inventoryappl
ProxyPassReverse /inventoryappl http://server1.ncs.com/inventoryappl

This will "hide" the back-end URL, while serving content from it.

mod_rewrite doesn't need to be involved in this process at all.

As for the other response that mentioned a big security hole and
spoofing DNS, I'm not at all sure what he was talking about, but you
don't need to spoof DNS, and there's no security implication whatever
in using this technique.

--
Rich Bowen
http://modrewrite.org/