httpd-users mailing list archives

From Haroon Rafique <haroon.rafi...@utoronto.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Passing remote client IP address to backend server and session stickness
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 00:53:56 GMT
On Today at 4:37pm, RJ=>Ruiyuan Jiang <Ruiyuan_Jiang@liz.com> wrote:

RJ> Hi, all
RJ>
RJ> Question 1: Is there a way to pass Internet users' IP address to
RJ> backend server through Apache reverse proxy server? I am testing that
RJ> feature so far no luck. My backend server gets Apache proxy server's
RJ> IP address. But I'd like to have Internet users' IP being passed
RJ> through Apache. This is http request.

Hi Ruiyan,

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#x-headers
you are interested in the X-Forwarde-For header.
Once you get it to your backend server, then you will need to figure out
how to get the information from that header into your logs (or whereever
else). You may need to take extra care as multiple proxies can be in the
path, so only trust this information if coming straight from your own
reverse proxy.

RJ> [..snip..]

Later,
--