httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Reinhardt" <crypto...@cryptodan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache intermittent crash - HELP!!!
Date Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:03:55 GMT

From: "Justin Pasher" <justinp@newmediagateway.com>
Sent: 18 December, 2009 21:20
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache intermittent crash - HELP!!!

> Just a couple things to point out (but nothing specific to fixing your probem)
>
> gary lim wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,

>> *top output
>> *top - 04:58:52 up 160 days,  4:02,  1 user,  load average: 0.08, 0.04, 0.05
>> Tasks:  69 total,   2 running,  67 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
>> Cpu(s):  1.9% us,  5.0% sy,  0.0% ni, 93.2% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,  0.0% si
>> Mem:    917652k total,   908144k used,     9508k free,    32660k buffers
>> Swap:  1048568k total,    37856k used,  1010712k free,   179480k cached
>>

>> Model: *Dell PowerEdge 850*
>> CPU:Intel *Pentium IV 3.0GHz* / 2MB, 800MHz FSB
>> RAM: *2GB **DDR-2 SDRAM* 533MHz w/ ECC*
>> *Harddisk: *02 x SATA* (7200RPM) HDD (non-RAID)
>
> Not sure if you noticed or not, but all of your memory is not actually <
> showing up as available to the kernel. Are you running a kernel with <
> "bigmem"-style support? If not, you're missing out on half of your RAM. <

I would be willing to guess, that his kernel is not using his full ram, and if
your system is running out of 10Gigs of Swap something else needs to be done
with the computer.  I have a similar setup, and my swap hardly gets used.
However, I am sure my site/server doesn't get anywhere near the hits yours does.
I am, however, running Ubuntu 9.10, a few game servers, webmin, mysql, php,
apache 2.2.12, ssh, postfix, and a few other process.  I am also running Gnome
Desktop Environment, because I like to use it when I am cleaning my main
gaming/workstation PC.

I would look into recompiling your Kernel with RAM support upto 4gig or greater,
seeing your machine is only 32bit, I would recommend using upto 4Gig support in
the memory section.   After that see if it makes a difference, if you do not see
a difference, then post what you are running on the machine.  The more
information you provide the better we can diagnose your issue with your server,
and get down to the root cause of your crashes.

Here are my system specs: http://www.cryptodan.net/sys/index.php?disp=dynamic

Thanks,
Daniel