httpd-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Schneider <t...@ccimagazine.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Stability problems with Apache on OS X 10.6 Server
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:52:48 GMT
Hi,

I'm having stability problems with apache on OS X 10.6.2 Server. I would like to know if anybody
else is having the same experience. And if there is a workaround.

The apache server is Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8k DAV/2  with mod_ldap
build in.  The server is build against OpenLDAP v 2.4.19 with DB backupend. The apache server
queries the LDAP on user login.

After 5000+ SSL requests, users begin to be denied log-in to the web site. In the Apache error_log
the following is written:

[Mon Dec 21 09:14:23 2009] [info] Initial (No.1) HTTPS request received for child 6 (server
172.25.2.99:443)
could not lookup DNS configuration info service: (ipc/send) invalid destination port
could not lookup DNS configuration info service: (ipc/send) invalid destination port
... 50 more ...
could not lookup DNS configuration info service: (ipc/send) invalid destination port
could not lookup DNS configuration info service: (ipc/send) invalid destination port
could not lookup[Mon Dec 21 09:14:23 2009] [warn] [client x.x.x.x] [95611] auth_ldap authenticate:
user y authentication failed; URI /images/redesign/info.gif [LDAP: ldap_simple_bind_s() failed][Can't
contact LDAP server], referer: https://.....

After a restart the server runs flawless untill the error occurs again after another  5000+
requests. While the errors are appearing in the log file, I can use the LDAP service without
any problems in a terminal using ldap* programs.

On the same server I have a ProFTPD running which also does log-in verification against the
LDAP server and retrieves varios information about the user. The program runs into the same
problems, ie. the "could not lookup  ..." begins to appear in the itøs log file, and users
are refused access to the FTP server.

The messages "could not lookup .." does not begin to appear at the same time in the logfiles.
The apache may be running fine, while the FTP server is rejecting users, and wise versa.

I googled "(ipc/send) invalid destination port" and found references to people who experienced
problems in OS X 10.0, but have not found anything for OS X 10.6.

But from my findings I suspect the problem might arise from OS X 10.6 and not from Apache
/ ProFTPD. But it just a qualified quess.

Does anybody have the same experience or something similar ? And if so, how did you solve
it ?

Any help is appreciated !

Regards,

 Thomas Schneider