httpd-users mailing list archives

From Francis GALIEGUE <...@one2team.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_cache caching cluster
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 23:04:17 GMT
On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 20:08, Matthew Tice <mjtice@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I was wondering if anyone has run across a means consolidating or
> clustering their cache?  Currently we have 20 nodes that only serve up
> static content.  Each node is configured with a 6G ramdisk
> (mod_disk_cache).  This works *ok* except for a couple issues.  1) We
> experience intermittent performance issues (it seems to happen when
> htcacheclean kicks off), and 2) the cache varies from machine to machine.
>
> I was digging around with mod_memcache - I really like the idea but 1) it
> doesn't look like it's actively developed, and 2) I can't seem to get the
> caching to do what I want.  I was also briefly looking at JCS - but that
> maybe a little overkill?
>
> I could have the content stored on a shared NFS mount but I wanted to stay
> away from disk-based caching if I could.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'd appreciate it greatly.

Since it is only really static content, and provided that when a given
element changes, its URI changes, you should definitely look at
mod_expires:

ExpiresActive On

<Location /some/static/URI/base>
    ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 month" # or more
    Header append Cache-Control "private" # this tells that the proxy
won't cache, but the final client will
</Location>

You don't even need disk-based caching. The OS' pagecache will largely
fill the "need for speed".

--

Francis Galiegue
ONE2TEAM