httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Mearns <mearn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] how to get multiple SSL with name based vhost ?
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 20:55:59 GMT
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Sheryl <gubydala@his.com> wrote:

>> Krist explained it very nicely... But maybe you still didn't get it:
>> Without SNI, there is NO WAY TO DO THIS. It is a fundamental limitation of
>> the HTTPS protocol with no production-grade work-around. SNI (server-name
>> indication) was specifically added to address this limitation. There is
>> simply NO ALTERNATIVE.
>
> To back up a moment, though -- another way to do this is to define
> multiple IPs on the network card and run multiple instances of apache,
> each with different config files.
[snip]

That's only if he has multiple IP addresses available on the network,
right? If we assume this is a public sever, that means he needs
multiple public IP addresses from his ISP that route to this server.
That's certainly a possibility, in general, but I want to make sure
I'm not missing something awesome.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net