httpd-users mailing list archives

From Justin Pasher <just...@newmediagateway.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Enabling SSL on VirtualHosts Revisited
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:09:47 GMT
Jonathan Mast wrote:
> OK, so I added NameVirtualHost foo.mysite.com:80
> <http://foo.mysite.com:80> and NameVirtualHost foo.mysite.com:443
> <http://foo.mysite.com:443> above their respective sections and it
> seems to work despite not being recommended as per the docs, but this
> was the only way to do it because all my domains: mysite.com
> <http://mysite.com>, othersite.com <http://othersite.com>, etc point
> to a single IP.
>
> Any idea on why using hostnames in NameVirtualHost directives is not
> recommended?  Is this something that could come back and bite me?

Sounds like there may be some confusion on the best way to set this up.
Assuming your IP address is 1.2.3.4, you should set it up as follows:

------------------------------

NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
    ServerName blah.mysite.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
    ServerName foo.mysite.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:443>
    ServerName foo.mysite.com
    SSL stuff
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
    ServerName bar.othersite.com
</VirtualHost>

If your IP address changes, you can substitute * from the IP address in
all locations for port 80. I've had trouble myself using *:443 for SSL,
so it may not be supported. As pointed out, using the hostname in the
NameVirtualHost and <VirtualHost> directives is not recommended (DNS
lookups).

--
Justin Pasher