httpd-users mailing list archives

From Justin Pasher <just...@newmediagateway.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Questions about implementing SSL/VirtualHosts
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:24:58 GMT
Dan Schaefer wrote:
> Does it help to mention that my example.com and www.example.com
> certificates are the exact same cert? My apologies for not mentioning
> this in the beginning. If and when we do add SSL to other subdomains,
> they will be different certs. I *don't* see that happening in the near
> future, however. Will I be able to use the same public IP for both
> example.com and www.example.com?

Many others have provided some information, but here's a basic summary
(assuming no SNI support):

(a) Single FQDN, single DocumentRoot - Single IP.
(b) Multiple FQDN, single DocumentRoot - Single IP, assuming cert
supports all (sub)domains listed. Otherwise Multiple IP
(c) Multiple FQDN, multiple DocumentRoot - Multiple IP addresses (one
for each FQDN)

--
Justin Pasher