httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess restricts write permission from webdav
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:57:45 GMT
J. Bakshi wrote:

> windows client simply throws error as permission denied.

> Does any one know why .htaccess prevents  write access from webdav ?

Hi.
I am not saying that this /is/ your problem, but you should be aware of
the fact that all DAV client implementations in Windows are notoriously
buggy and unreliable.
Search Google for this : windows +dav +miniredirector
to get an idea of the dimension of the problem.

We use "web folders" heavily in our own applications.  We have learned
by experience that, depending on the version of Windows, the patches
applied, whether or not there is MS-Office installed, etc.. the
behaviour of the webfolders <-> Apache DAV dialog is quite variable.
All in all, this is quite frustrating, and can be very time-consuming to
track down precisely.
Since you can probably never insure that all client workstations have
exactly the same versions, basically these different behaviours will
always hit you.
To avoid this kind of trouble, try to keep the interface as basic as
possible.
If a .htaccess does not work, try for example to set up the same access
rules outside of a .htaccess file, e.g. in your server config inside of
a <Location> section.