httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] what should be in the proxy directive
Date Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:48:40 GMT

On 29 Dec 2009, at 10:38, robert rottermann wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I set up an apache on a debian lenny.
> I do have a virtual host that uses the redirect module.

Ugly!

> Now all access to that virtual host is blocked.
> only when I alter the config file of the proxy module to allow access from
> everywhere I can access the site:

That's what you (usually) want for a reverse proxy.

> <IfModule mod_proxy.c>

Drop <IfModule>.  It only serves to confuse, if you're editing your config
"by hand" (as opposed to purely with tools like debian's a2enmod).

> now this is for sure wrong.
> So could somebody please give me a hint what should be in the <Proxy /> stanza?

You're confusing forward and reverse proxies.  Forward proxies are
dangerous and need to be restricted, but you've correctly set
ProxyRequests Off, so you don't have a forward proxy.  Reverse
proxies are, to all intents and purposes, equivalent to origin servers.

But put all your proxy directives inside the <VirtualHost>.
And <Proxy> is usually a bad idea: use <Location> instead.

--
Nick Kew