httpd-users mailing list archives

From Perl Whore <whorep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Allowing users access to their websites (Possibly OT?)
Date Sun, 20 Dec 2009 02:27:40 GMT
How about sftp without access to the shell? It's secure and most ftp
clients support the protocol.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 9:50 PM, LuKreme <kremels@kreme.com> wrote:
> I have several users who have websites on my Apache 2.2.13/FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE server
and I give them access to their files via webdav. This mostly has worked fine for years (Since
FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE), but I occasionally have weird problems with webdav (especially with
things like Drupal or WordPress installed), so I am looking for another solution.

> I don't want to allow ftp access or any access to a shell on the machine, so what are
my options. How are others doing this? (It seems that chroot jails and ftp are still the standard,
or is that wrong)

> My users are not sophisticated, and webdav is just about as complicated as they can manage.
Anything with a shell prompt is going to be nothing but problems.