httpd-users mailing list archives

From Xuan Zhang <xuan.zh...@yale.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Using named pipe in Apache directory
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 07:09:47 GMT
Hi,

I am dealing with a little bit strange requirements in apache.
I want to use an "named pipe" generated by mkfifo as a file in apache
directory.  For example, I put one pipe file in as a.file in apache's
directory and then generate the stream of snapshot of my screen into
the pipe.  In this case, I hope the client who fetches the a.mp4 file
would receive a stream of my screen.

To test it,

1. I set up a named pipe a.file
2. I execute   cat < index.html > a.file
3. I open a browser and try to access http://localhost/a.file

However, when I tried to do this, I found apache just simply close the
connection and the browser stay blank.

I wonder if I do something wrong. Why should it go this way?

I searched google but found little relevant. Any suggestions?

Best,
Xuan

--
I wish I were a dog