httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Martucci, Andy" <AMartu...@Premierfarnell.com>
Subject [users@httpd] CGI Apache Directive: LimitRequestLine
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:11:34 GMT
Hi, I'm hoping that you can help me with an issue we have come across regarding some new development
we're doing around the use of CGI Apache web services.

I work in the Systems department for Premier Farnell (Leeds), we had an in-house course a
while back that was presented by Paul Tuohy..  this was intended to give us an insight into
CGI Apache and what it could do for our business... hence this email now.

Our problem is this... we want to provide a web service that will provide a real time data
link between our AS400 and web sites... we have achieved this without a problem using a url
"get" request to the CGI Apache server on the AS400.

However, the problem we have stumbled onto is the maximum size of the query string that we
can use... this is limited to 8190 bytes... I believe this is a "Directive" constraint in
Apache called: LimitRequestLine

We understand that there isn't such a limit using a "post" request but before we re-develop
everything we have done we wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything we could do to get
around the constraint I have just mentioned. We would be looking at a maximum size more in
the region of 32k.

I'd be very grateful if you could me what the "correct" course of action should be to resolve
this problem please?

Regards, Andy.

> Andy Martucci
>
> GIS Back Office
	Premier Farnell

> amartucci@premierfarnell.com
>
> T: +44 113 279 0101 (ext 4087)
> F: +44 113 279 9168
	www.farnell.com

      A Premier Farnell Company

***************************Disclaimer***************************
The contents of this e-mail and any file transmitted with it are confidential and intended
solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  The content may also contain
legal, professional or other privileged information. If you received this e-mail in error,
please destroy it immediately.  You should not copy or use it for any purpose nor disclose
its contents to any other person. The views stated herein do not necessarily represent the
view of the Company. Please ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or detach
any documents from this transmission. The Company does not accept any liability for  viruses.
Premier Farnell plc
150 Armley Road Leeds
LS12 2QQ
Telephone +44 (0) 870 129 8608