httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd]
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:48:39 GMT

On Nov 11, 2009, at 16:28 , Stephen Love wrote:

> Hmmm... somewhat new to the inner details... all I know is what I
> research on my own... have not had a book-learning course on this...
> but TLS... what is that? AND... I simply want a list of source
> identifiers of incoming requests so that I can check each new one
> for duplicate incoming source... just a HITS vs UNIQUE VISITORS. I
> want NOTHING MORE. I can do add'l tracking based on time, date, etc,
> on my own. Just site usage statistics.

Your question has now been answered several times. I have recommended
mod_usertrack. You may use cookies that you have crafted yourself,
either in some server-side application, or perhaps with mod_rewrite.
If you do not trust cookies, then there is no way to do what you're
trying to do. You cannot uniquely identify the visitor in the way that
you are describing, other than with cookies, or using a third-party
service, like Google Analytics, which relies on cookies.

Yes, cookies are unreliable and hackable, but they're the best we have
to offer. Repeating your question with increasing belligerence will
not change this reality. This is the answer to your question. There
are no other answers, no matter how much you want for there to be.

On the other hand, how much does it *really* matter whether you have
1,000,000 or 1,000,001 visitors? Sometimes, you just have to be
satisfied with a really good estimate.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com