httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] RewriteRule in neither "foo/.htaccess" nor ".htaccess" can match http://example.com/.../foo
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:08:02 GMT
Jack Bates wrote:
> I'm struggling a bit with this mod_rewrite rule,

I am a bit intimidated by your detailed explanation and the level of
expertise required to fully understand your requirements, never mind
finding a solution. But reading your post in diagonals gives me the
feeling that maybe the sum of your requirements is just a bit too much
to be covered by generic modules like mod_rewrite et al., which after
all are generic tools and not specifically designed to cover all
possible cases and countercases one could come up with.
It seems like what you want is something like
/foo to deliver /foo.html
except if /foo really exists and is a directory, then you would want
/foo/index.html to be delivered
except if the directory /foo contains a .htaccess, in which case you
want the .htaccess-contained rewrite rules to apply
except if /foo is a sub-directory of another directory already
containing a .htaccess with rewrite rules in it, in which case these
should apply too
I may be jesting a bit, but don't you think this is a bit much to ask ?

In a case like this, maybe it is the layout of the site that needs to be
revisited, or an ad-hoc custom fixup module (mod_perl ?) may be the
second choice.
Purely personal opinion of course.