httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Memory / Process leak
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:29:00 GMT
Peter N Lewis wrote:
> I am having a serious problem with my site running out of memory.  apache is leaking
memory/processes.

Probably a lot more likely : your "mod_perl pages" are leaking memory.
Perl will grab memory as needed, and once grabbed, will never release it
to the OS until perl itself terminates, which rarely happens under
Apache/mod_perl.
Some perl modules do leak memory.  In my experience, for example various
XML-parsing modules do.  It can be tricky to track down, because one
"innocent" module may "use" another "not innocent" module etc..
If/when you track it down, it may be possible (although inefficient) to
isolate the bit which leaks memory, by converting it to a call to an
external process.
Another possible solution is to work with a prefork version of Apache,
and make it so that each child handles only a number of requests, and
then is killed and restarted.  I don't remember the details, but in most
configurations this will also restart that child's perl interpreter,
ergo free its memory back to the OS.
Look up this :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_common.html#maxrequestsperchild