httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Regarding 1 Webserver Multiple Web App project
Date Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:48:06 GMT
Henry Loke wrote:
> Which method is good to support 1 WebServer with Multiple Web App project?
>
> Method 1: domain Changes
>
> When user type in
> 1. http://webapp1.example.com will go to webapp1 project
> 2. http://webapp2.example.com will go to webapp2 project
> etc etc

That would be in the area of Virtual Hosts
See : http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/

> Method 2 : using same domain but append different file structure
>
> When user type in
> 1. http://www.example.com/webapp1/ will go to webapp1 project
> 2. http://www.example.com/webapp2/ will go to webapp2 project

That would be more like.. err.. a basic configuration.
See here : http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/urlmapping.html

Method 1 is a bit more flexible, particularly if you want to have
different kinds of behaviours, authentication, pre-defined settings
etc.. for each "webapp".
Each VirtualHost pretty much behaves like a separate server.

Method 2 is probably more appropriate if your webapps have to share
things between them (e.g. you want one authentication to be valid for
all of them).

The above are very general and rough ideas, and there is no clear-cut
distinction, as your question seems to imply.
Let's say that if what you above call "webapps", were different
applications for different customers (or group of people), I would
incline to method 1.
If they are just different facets of an application for one customer
(group of people), I would incline to method 2.