httpd-users mailing list archives

From Doug McNutt <dougl...@macnauchtan.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] GET request on a directory
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:51:54 GMT
>On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:30 PM, I wrote:
>> GET requests which would otherwise look for an index.html file but are set up with
something like this:

>> HTTP://domain.com/somedirectory/?C=xx;O=yy
>>
>> seem to reply with a formatted list of directory contents.  Can someone point me
to some documentation for that?  Googling for "?C=M;O=A" gets hundreds of examples but no
docs.

At 12:45 -0700 10/23/09, Jonathan Zuckerman wrote:

>Wow, don't even know where to begin.  We're all happy to help but this
>question is nonsensical, can you be any more specific?  This miiight
>be what you're looking for:
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_dir.html

That was the hint I needed. It turns out that
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html>
has this to say:

    * C=N sorts the directory by file name
    * C=M sorts the directory by last-modified date, then file name
    * C=S sorts the directory by size, then file name
    * C=D sorts the directory by description, then file name
    * O=A sorts the listing in Ascending Order
    * O=D sorts the listing in Descending Order
    * F=0 formats the listing as a simple list (not FancyIndexed)
    * F=1 formats the listing as a FancyIndexed list
    * F=2 formats the listing as an HTMLTable FancyIndexed list
    * V=0 disables version sorting
    * V=1 enables version sorting
    * P=pattern lists only files matching the given pattern

The summary seems to say that one can have mod_dir OR mod_autoindex but not both. But it also
says that use of index.html is controlled by mod_dir.  I need to get read access to the config
file for my hosting service and that might be difficult. A GET aimed at a directory does deliver
my own index.html if it's there. But sometimes I don't want to bother with that and apache,
as installed by pair.com, does deliver a list of files that a visitor can click on. Is it
 _dir or  _autoindex is the question I shall ask.

Thanks for the helping hand.

--
--> If  it's not  on  fire  it's  a  software  problem. <--