httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Zuckerman <j.zucker...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] GET request on a directory
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2009 17:28:04 GMT
On Saturday, October 24, 2009, Doug McNutt <douglist@macnauchtan.com> wrote:
>>On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:30 PM, I wrote:
>>> GET requests which would otherwise look for an index.html file but are set up
with something like this:

>>> HTTP://domain.com/somedirectory/?C=xx;O=yy
>>>
>>> seem to reply with a formatted list of directory contents.  Can someone point
me to some documentation for that?  Googling for "?C=M;O=A" gets hundreds of examples but
no docs.

> At 12:45 -0700 10/23/09, Jonathan Zuckerman wrote:
>>
>>Wow, don't even know where to begin.  We're all happy to help but this
>>question is nonsensical, can you be any more specific?  This miiight
>>be what you're looking for:
>>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_dir.html
>>

> That was the hint I needed. It turns out that
> <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html>
> has this to say:
>
>     * C=N sorts the directory by file name
>     * C=M sorts the directory by last-modified date, then file name
>     * C=S sorts the directory by size, then file name
>     * C=D sorts the directory by description, then file name
>     * O=A sorts the listing in Ascending Order
>     * O=D sorts the listing in Descending Order
>     * F=0 formats the listing as a simple list (not FancyIndexed)
>     * F=1 formats the listing as a FancyIndexed list
>     * F=2 formats the listing as an HTMLTable FancyIndexed list
>     * V=0 disables version sorting
>     * V=1 enables version sorting
>     * P=pattern lists only files matching the given pattern
>
> The summary seems to say that one can have mod_dir OR mod_autoindex but not both. But
it also says that use of index.html is controlled by mod_dir.  I need to get read access
to the config file for my hosting service and that might be difficult. A GET aimed at a directory
does deliver my own index.html if it's there. But sometimes I don't want to bother with that
and apache, as installed by pair.com, does deliver a list of files that a visitor can click
on. Is it  _dir or  _autoindex is the question I shall ask.

> Thanks for the helping hand.
>
> --
> --> If  it's not  on  fire  it's  a  software  problem. <--

And I learned something too, I hadn't realized you could pass
querystring parameters to order results in the automatic index, and
your original question actually makes a lot of sense now