httpd-users mailing list archives

From Scott Haneda <talkli...@newgeo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 2 initgroups alert, Max OS X, abnormal exit in error log
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 05:53:11 GMT
$httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.2.13 (Unix)

Today, I have seen in my logs...
$grep '\[alert\]' error_log
[Thu Oct 08 16:23:24 2009] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: initgroups:
unable to set groups for User www and Group 70
[Thu Oct 08 16:23:24 2009] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: initgroups:
unable to set groups for User www and Group 70
[Thu Oct 08 16:23:24 2009] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: initgroups:
unable to set groups for User www and Group 70
[Thu Oct 08 16:23:24 2009] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: initgroups:
unable to set groups for User www and Group 70
[Thu Oct 08 16:23:24 2009] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: initgroups:
unable to set groups for User www and Group 70
[Thu Oct 08 16:23:25 2009] [alert] Child 13545 returned a Fatal
error... Apache is exiting!
[Thu Oct 08 17:29:48 2009] [alert] (36)Operation now in progress:
initgroups: unable to set groups for User www and Group 70
[Thu Oct 08 17:29:49 2009] [alert] Child 13782 returned a Fatal
error... Apache is exiting!

There is a little info on this, one which is in this list, but dates
back a year:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-users/200810.mbox/%3C5249c07e0810091021s77d4f603y50c3fbb20cd4c181@mail.gmail.com%3E

There was no solution to that thread I could find.

Looking through a few changelogs, I see mention of initgroups, but I
am not versed in this enough to now if this was addressed, attempted
to be addressed, or was assumed to have been solved.  I am not using
any LDAP as some googling will point to.

The only correlation I have, is I was playing with rotatelogs for the
first time today.  I removed the single pipe line for the error log
and issues apachectl graceful.  That graceful was issued at Oct  8
16:23, but you can see, I had an exit afterward as well.

The pipe I added was put into a virtual host container, did make a log
after a graceful start, and followed the 300 second rotation schedule
I was testing.  User was root and group was www.  On a side note, how
do I get rotatelogs to use www:www user and group?

My google searches on this seem to be mostly limited to Mac OS X, both
PPC and Intel, info is sparse.

More details below, but the meat of the question is above, most
probably do not need read more.  I am posting here to find if anyone
knows more info, or if it would be wise to post to bugzilla.

This is a relatively new install, and was just put into production
after stable testing for a few weeks.  I have not seen any other
unusual exits, but I am also staying way from rotatelogs for the time
being, though I am pretty sure that my end goals will need use of
rotatelogs.

I am running Mac OS X 10.5 on PPC
    Hardware Overview:

       Model Name: Power Mac G5
       Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2
       Processor Name: PowerPC 970  (2.2)
       Processor Speed: 2 GHz
       Number Of CPUs: 2
       L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
       Memory: 3.5 GB
       Bus Speed: 1 GHz
       Boot ROM Version: 5.1.4f0

I am open to testing rotatelogs if need be to pin this down.  I used
MacPorts to install, which from what I can tell about the port install
description file, these are the configure args I used:

          --prefix=/opt/local/apache2
          --with-apr=/opt/local/bin/apr-1-config \
          --with-apr-util=/opt/local/bin/apu-1-config \
          --libdir=/opt/local/lib \
          --with-expat=/opt/local \
          --with-pcre=/opt/local \
          --mandir=/opt/local/share/man \
          --enable-mods-shared=all \
          --enable-ssl \
          --with-ssl=/opt/local \
          --enable-cache \
          --enable-disk_cache \
          --enable-file_cache \
          --enable-mem_cache \
          --enable-deflate \
          --enable-proxy \
          --enable-proxy-connect \
          --enable-proxy-http \
          --enable-proxy-ftp

I can not locate the OP's email address to follow up with him and see
if he has resolution to this.  Unfortunately, I only have an error log
from today forward, and nuked the last two weeks of it as a clean
start when I went live.