httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Can't map DAV network place to network drive
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:38:13 GMT
Neil Aggarwal wrote:

> On my client machine (Windows XP SP3), I am
> able to add the https location as a network place.

Yes.

> But, when I go to map the network place as a network
> drive, I can browse to the network place and see
> the folders, but the OK button is always greyed
> out.

No. Err, yes.

> Is there something wrong in my Apache config
> or is Windows being obtuse?

It is Windows being obtuse.
It is not possible to map a http or https "network place" to a "drive".
The basic reason is that the MS-Windows implementation of Dav (or "web
folders" as they call it), is only skin-deep.
Basically, it works inside the Windows (disk) Explorer, and in some
other programs via a special DLL, but it is not really implemented at
the OS level.
So in the Windows Explorer you can drag and drop files to and from your
Dav folders, but you will not be able, for example, to save a file there
directly from Notepad's "Save As.." function, because Notepad just "does
not see" that folder.

Solution : there exist a couple of "Dav Client programs for Windows",
available commercially (and not very expensive).
They do what Windows does not do, and allow you to connect a real
Windows "drive letter" to a Dav folder on a server.
Then you can use any Windows program to read/write from that drive.

<http://lmgtfy.com?q=Dav+Client+programs+for+Windows>

(I love that page)