httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nicholas Sherlock <n.sherl...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Apace2 stops serving pages.
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:13:48 GMT
Middle Fork GIS wrote:
> [...] at random intervals, Apache stops serving pages.
>
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
>
> And there it sits until the server is started; likewise from a remote
> browser, the page is never delivered.   Nothing appears in Apache's log,
> even when set to the most verbose 'INFO' level.

The log is only written once the page has been served, so that isn't
surprising.

> Apache is NOT pegging the CPU:  CPU usage will show close to 0% and the
> load average will show close to zero as well.   Apache is not hogging
> the memory, very little memory usage is shown.

I'd take a look at your database. If one query locks all the important
tables, then runs for minutes and minutes, every other query will block
waiting for it. This will quickly fill up your Apache connection limit
with people waiting for their response to be delivered. Eventually, the
bad query times out and everything goes back to normal.

On MySQL, this would be diagnosed with a quick "SHOW PROCESSLIST", I'm
not sure about PostgreSQL though.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock