httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dirk Stöcker <apa...@dstoecker.de>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache Proxy question
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:21:23 GMT
Hello,

I have a little problem with Proxy redirects on one of my servers and I'm out
of helpful documentation to solve the issue.

Situation:

- There is an NTRIP-Caster (this is a special purpose HTTP server) running
   on port 2101 of the machine
- On Port 80 (and 443 for HTTPS) is an Apache.

The Apache now should pass request to a virtual domain through to the local
2101 port and deliver results. It also should do the HTTPS encryption.
Generally this all works, but the delays are much to high for real-time data.

NTRIP is a system which has usually very low data rates but requires low
latency.

I use following configuration:

<VirtualHost *:80>
      ServerName xxx
      <Directory proxy:*>
         Order deny,allow
         Allow from all
      </Directory>
      ProxyPass / http://xxx:2101/ flushpackets=on
      ProxyIOBufferSize 128
      ProxyReceiveBufferSize 512
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:443>
      ServerName xxx
      SSLEngine on
      <Directory proxy:*>
         Order deny,allow
         Allow from all
      </Directory>
      ProxyPass / http://xxx:2101/ flushpackets=on
      ProxyIOBufferSize 128
      ProxyReceiveBufferSize 512
</VirtualHost>

According docs flushpackets=on should cause immediate flusing and also the
reduced buffers should help, but still I have several seconds delay in the data
which is to much. delays in the range of 1 or 2 seconds would be the maximum I
can accept.

I can change the source code of the NTRIP-Server, so additional header lines
speeding up the transfer would be possible. The server sends data in chunked
transfer mode and sends on TCP-packet for each chunk.

Any helpful hint would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao