httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jignesh Badani" <jbad...@mmsa.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Industry Acceptable % of Timeout failures (502s)
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2009 02:11:22 GMT
Hello, is there an industry standard for acceptable % of Timeout related
failures on one's website ?

We have a server farm of 3 Apache RP proxying almost everything to the
back-end content and app farms of about 40-50 servers. The user base is
small but fairly active (about 2.5mil hits per day & 17GB-20GB traffic
served from all RPs combined)

We have a current Timeout related 502 messages of about 0.3% of the total
successful hits (http 200).  Is that on the high side or acceptable? If
there is an website about the same, please point me to it.

The reason I ask is that we are very short handed and we cannot go really
chasing the App or the content folks for every 502s getting logged.

regards
- -
JB