httpd-users mailing list archives

From LuKreme <krem...@kreme.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: how do I *define* a default virtual host
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:02:35 GMT
On 16-Sep-2009, at 07:17, Geurts, G.P.T.M. wrote:
Hello,
> Thanks for your reply!
> I don't think it whould work for us.... we use ip based virtual
> hosting
> so a virtualhost directive looks like <VitualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
> What does the __default__  directive do anyways?

_default_ is useful. Say you have 20 IPs on a single machine, and 12
of those are assigned to various domains, but the other 8 are not.

Then you could have a _default_ directive AFTER all the other
virtualhost directives, so that any IP address not previously set to a
specific location would go to, say, your ecommerce page.

<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/examples.html>
_default_ vhosts for all ports
Catching every request to any unspecified IP address and port, i.e.,
an address/port combination that is not used for any other virtual host.

Server configuration

<VirtualHost _default_:*>
DocumentRoot /www/default
</VirtualHost>

Using such a default vhost with a wildcard port effectively prevents
any request going to the main server.

A default vhost never serves a request that was sent to an address/
port that is used for name-based vhosts. If the request contained an
unknown or no Host: header it is always served from the primary name-
based vhost (the vhost for that address/port appearing first in the
configuration file).

OTOH, _default_ is dangerous, and you have to be sure that it is the
LAST directive as it stomps everything that follows it.

--
"Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?" "Why are you wearing that
	stupid man suit?"