httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Geurts, G.P.T.M." <g.p.t.m.geu...@i-groep.leidenuniv.nl>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] LogFormat %{FOOBAR}n note
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2009 15:05:28 GMT
Thanks Eric!
I don't have time right now to look in to your response... It's 17:00
;-) but I'll look into it tomorrow.
Thanks,

geert

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Covener [mailto:covener@gmail.com]
Sent: dinsdag 1 september 2009 14:59
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] LogFormat %{FOOBAR}n note

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Geurts,
G.P.T.M.<g.p.t.m.geurts@i-groep.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> Hello list,
> I'm working on customised logging for our http servers, one thing I
> was unable to find information about is the %{FOOBAR}n option for
> LogFormat. The documentation says it's the contense of note FOOBAR
from another module....
> But what is that exacly and wich modules contain notes? And why could
> that be interesting to log? Why not open the note of the module if you

> want to know it?

Example: The core sets %{error-notes}n with some extended error info
during some error responses (sometimes the same additional info passed
in the error response). This might help you differentiate between a few
different type of 400 responses.

AuthBasicProvider stashes the name of the module that handled
authentication in a note called "authn_provider_name".

"Why not open it"?  I don't think this makes any sense.  Modules post
these notes to whoever might want to view them (logging, or passing
messages between modules/phases).

> I'm probably completely misunderstanding the use of %n, but this is
> what I could make from it myself... So if somebody could enlighten me,
> would be very thankful.

If you're not working on a module that documents adding some note that
night be of interest, you wouldn't be logging it.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com