httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] OT: Vista Xampp and 'allow from localhost'
Date Wed, 30 Sep 2009 22:29:11 GMT

On Sep 30, 2009, at 15:47 , Clive Kinton wrote:

> Has anybody run into some weirdness with Apache 2.2.12 from Xampp on
> Vista and ip to hostname resolution for 'localhost'? The httpd.conf is
> vanilla, as shipped.
>
> Specific issue: Trying to limit access to a directory with a
> simple .htaccess file like:
>
> Order deny,allow
> Deny from all
> Allow from localhost
> Allow from 127.0.0.1
>
> or even
>
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from localhost
> Allow from 127.0.0.1
>
>> From the localhost calling the protected directory thus:
> http://127.0.0.1/protected
>
> Works - but -
> http://localhost/protected
> does not and 403's

What does the error log say when this happens?

"Allow from" doesn't apply to the hostname requested, but the client
doing the requesting. So the hostname that appears in the URL
shouldn't have anything at all to do with whether those "allow from"
directives are honored.

> A similar Linux box running apache on the same network does not do
> this,
> leading me to think there is some kind of weirdness going on with how
> Vista resolves IP to hostname.
>
> I've done the obvious things I can think of (hosts/lmhosts) but
> there is
> a gap in my understanding of where Vista will look to resolve
> 'localhost'. An entry in hosts does not seem sufficient.
>
> Any pointers gratefully received. I know this is OT, but perhaps
> someone
> has come across this?

Nah, it's not off-topic. It's apache httpd configuration. xampp is
just one possible distribution of our code.

--
http://us.apachecon.com/c/acus2009/sessions/363
Apache HTTPD Nuts to Bolts - Two Day Training at ApacheCon