httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Mick Sheppard" <Mick.Shepp...@cpp.co.uk>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] 0 byte logs
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:05:11 GMT
Hi Olly,

A couple of questions:

1) What are you using to rotate the apache log files?

2) When you rotate them does the first one rotated continue to grow, or are you compressing
it?

The reason for the questions is that it sounds as if your rotation mechanism is moving the
old log files away and then creating a new, empty one. Unless you tell it Apache will continue
to write to the old log file as it will have it open. When you give the 'graceful' command
Apache restarts and re-opens the log file thus writing to the new logs.

Regards,

Mick Sheppard

This is an email from the CPP Group Plc, Holgate Park, York, YO26 4GA; telephone +44 (0)1904
544500.
This message may contain information that is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient,
you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you have received
this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately by email, facsimile or telephone and
either
return or destroy the original message.

The CPP Group Plc accepts no responsibility for any changes made to this message after it
has been
sent by the original author.  This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs

Email Security System.