httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.63 build on Solaris / Binary Distributions
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:06:19 GMT
Darren Strachan wrote:

> *1)       *I have downloaded the 2.0.63 source onto a Solaris 10 box and

Why such an old version?  2.2.x is always preferred.

> have successfully run the first installation step – “configure –prefix
> <install dir>”.  When I run step two – “make”, it chugs away merrily
> building things for a while but eventually comes back with an error.
>  The error stack is at the bottom of the mail but in essence it is
> having a problem building a library called *“libexpat.la”*.  I am
> assuming that there is some kind of problem with the operating system
> environment but have no idea what this is….  I am using a gcc version
> 3.4.3 and the “make” command that lives under “/usr/ccs/bin” on Solaris.
>  Is there anything else I need to have in my PATH or something else with
> the environment that might be missing?**

It's making in expat, which presumably means it hasn't found an
installed expat.  Installing it separately might fix the problem.

Otherwise you could build apr and apr-util first, and then build
httpd using those rather than its bundled copies.
Tweak the --with-expat configure option to apr-util if necessary.

> 2)       If question 1 can’t be solved I am wondering where I can just
> get hold of a Solaris binary distribution please?  The download mirrors
> only seem to provide links to source distributions for Unix platforms….

You can get packaged versions from Sun's web stack, and I'm sure
there are other alternatives floating around.

--
Nick Kew