httpd-users mailing list archives

From Norman Peelman <npeel...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Using VirtualHosts, do I need to specify "main" ServerName?
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:21:25 GMT
Edward Ruggeri wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Stephen <stephen-d@rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> Edward Ruggeri wrote:
>>
>>> (Of course, my system hostname (in /etc/hostname) is not fully qualified.)
>>>
>> Your hostname, should have an entry in /etc/hosts
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 hostname
>>
>> Then Apache is happy and you are fine.
>>

> Thanks, but, it isn't happy until you fully qualify the domain name,
> for instance, in /etc/hosts: 127.0.0.1 hostname.local hostname.
> (Oddly, it doesn't insist on a FQDN if you specify ServerName)
>
> In fact, I'm not so much worried about why Apache might want a FQDN
> (to generate redirects, etc).  What I'm worried about is the statement
> that Apache is going to get the IP address associated with the FQDN
> (either from lookup in /etc/hosts or through DNS*).  What could that
> possibly be used for?  Is that really what Apache does?
>
> -- Ned Ruggeri
>
> *Not reverse DNS, as I mistakenly wrote!

Apache (linux/windows) will check the 'hosts' file first and then do DNS
lookups when no matches are found. I don't understand why your not
worried about why it needs it but you are worried about how it gets it.
The main server needs a name just like the vhosts, for the very reasons
you yourself gave.

--
Norman Registered Linux user #461062 -Have you been to www.apache.org yet?-