httpd-users mailing list archives

From Norman Peelman <npeel...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Using VirtualHosts, do I need to specify "main" ServerName?
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:12:27 GMT
Edward Ruggeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Apache 2.2.9 on Debian 5.0.3.  Everything seems to work
> nicely, but I'm worried about this quote from "Issues Regarding DNS
> and Apache" in the 2.0 documentation:
>
> "The addition of name-based virtual host support in Apache 1.1
> requires Apache to know the IP address(es) of the host that httpd is
> running on. To get this address it uses either the global ServerName
> (if present) or calls the C function gethostname (which should return
> the same as typing "hostname" at the command prompt). Then it performs
> a DNS lookup on this address. At present there is no way to avoid this
> lookup."
>
> This seems to imply that, even though I have set up Apache to serve
> all requests via vhosts, I shouldn't choose a bogus "main" ServerName,
> since it will perform a reverse-DNS to find my IP address?  What would
> it even do with that single IP address; the virtual hosts listen on
> several interfaces...  Of course, I want to pick a bogus name to
> suppress the warning:
>
> "apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
> domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName"
>
> (Of course, my system hostname (in /etc/hostname) is not fully qualified.)
>
> Thanks, kindly.
>
> -- Ned Ruggeri

As long as you use the hostname of your system you should be ok - The
DNS will resolve to 127.0.0.1 ass per your hosts file. Aapche is really
just looking for a name for the main server. You need to name it just
like the vhosts.

--
Norman Registered Linux user #461062 -Have you been to www.apache.org yet?-