httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] A question about configuring Apache Http Server
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:41:37 GMT
thomas2004 wrote:

>> That either means that the host "web-mycompany.com" is not running, or
>> that it is not listening on port 80.
>> It looks like you are not even getting as far as connecting to your Apache
> webserver.
>
> Could be. That's the reason I ask this question. :)
>
> Where and how can I check it?

Ok, let's start from there.
First, let's see if Apache is running.
When you enter the following command :

netstat -pan | grep '\:80'

it should at least show one line.  That line corresponds to the port on
which Apache should be listening.
Toward the end of the line, should be the name of the program, and it's
Process-ID.

You call also try either one of those :
ps -ef | grep httpd
or
ps -ef | grep apache

(I don't remember if under RH Apache appears as httpd or apache2)

Once you make sure that there is an Apache running, then you could try
the following :
enter the command :
telnet web-mycompany.com 80
GET / HTTP/1.0

(the second line above, you have to enter "blind", because there will be
no echo; the third line is just a "return")
Do you get something ?