httpd-users mailing list archives

From Anthony Gerrard <anthonygerr...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_cache ignores max-age / s-maxage headers if expires is set in the past
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 18:18:09 GMT
Hi,

I've noticed that if an expires header is set in the past then mod_cache will not cache the
response even if s-maxage is set in the cache-control header.  Isn't this contrary to the
HTTP 1.1 specification?

"If a response includes an s-maxage directive, then for a shared cache (but not for a private
cache), the maximum age specified by this directive overrides the maximum age specified by
either the max-age directive or the Expires header."

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.9.3

Not caching responses with an expires header in the past seems to have been added deliberately
in version 2.2.5.  The HTTP specification says it is valid to set conflicting expires and
maxage / s-maxage settings to obtain different behaviour for HTTP 1.0 and HTTP 1.1 clients.
 I'm using a caching product on my web server that behaves like this - hence I've noticed
the problem.

I think I have a workaround but wanted to post something in case it is a bug.

Anthony

Anthony Gerrard
Email: anthonygerrard@gmail.com
http://www.sponsorachild.org.uk