httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Peacock" <richard.peac...@minorplanet.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] creating a proxy
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:17:50 GMT
Bah, silly me, I clicked send before I could provide these links which
may help with setting Apache as a (forward or outbound) proxy server:-

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Administration/Using-Apache-As-A-Proxy-Server
/

and from the Apache docs:-

Forward and Reverse Proxies

Apache can be configured in both a forward and reverse proxy mode.

An ordinary forward proxy is an intermediate server that sits between
the client and the origin server. In order to get content from the
origin server, the client sends a request to the proxy naming the origin
server as the target and the proxy then requests the content from the
origin server and returns it to the client. The client must be specially
configured to use the forward proxy to access other sites.

A typical usage of a forward proxy is to provide Internet access to
internal clients that are otherwise restricted by a firewall. The
forward proxy can also use caching (as provided by mod_cache
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_cache.html> ) to reduce
network usage.

The forward proxy is activated using the ProxyRequests
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxyrequests>
directive. Because forward proxys allow clients to access arbitrary
sites through your server and to hide their true origin, it is essential
that you secure your server
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html#access>  so that
only authorized clients can access the proxy before activating a forward
proxy.

[snip]

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html

I hope these help, personally I use Smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org