httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] creating a proxy
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:49:20 GMT
Etienne,

I am not quite sure that anyone here really understand what you are
trying to do, nor if your usage of the words "proxy" and "hosting"
really matches the usual technical meanings of these words.

I have a suspicion that your situation might be as follows :

- you are working on a workstation located in some organisation's
internal network
- this workstation does not have direct access to Internet HTTP servers.
  In order to access an external HTTP server, you have to go through a
corporate firewall/proxy.
- that firewall/proxy does not allow you to connect to all the websites
you want to connect to, or it records the connections, which you do not
like.
- so you are trying to figure out, using putty's port forwarding, if you
can somehow bypass the corporation's HTTP proxy, by using another port
than 80 to get out, and still access the external HTTP server on it's
port 80.

If the above matches your situation, I feel that I must point out to you
that
- there may be very good reasons why such a scheme is in place.
Protecting the organisation against break-ins by viruses and other
nasties may be one of them.
- by doing so, you may be violating organisation rules, and expose
yourself to bad personal consequences

If the above is not your situation, then please provide some clearer
explanations of what you are trying to achieve, and someone might be
able to help you.
Although in principle, I don't think it has much to do with Apache.