httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_disk_cache and caching same content for all users
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:40:57 GMT
Henry wrote:
> Quoting "Eric Covener" <covener@gmail.com>:
>>> Yes, it contains:
>>> Vary: User-Agent
>>
>> That's why you get a new one cached for a different browser.
>
> Ouch.  OK, I confirmed what you're saying by using different machines
> browsing to the same (cached) page all using the same browser (IE).
> None of them got served the cached page... except the original requester.
>
> Is there any way to *force* the cached page being served irrespective of
> the client user-agent and/or client IP?
>
> /sidebar:  where on earth did you learn about the Vary header impacting
> caching?

Read the HTTP spec!  The server has declared that it will serve a
*different* page to a different user agent.

If that's for the web - as opposed to an application that's limited
to your choice of user-agents, then it's certainly wrong.
Either it's bogus (i.e. the server will do no such thing)
or BAD (Broken As Designed).  So getting rid of it would be a
very good idea.

--
Nick Kew