httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: excessive dns slows httpd
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 19:13:46 GMT
André Warnier wrote:
> Mark H. Wood wrote:
>> Local DNS cache of some sort on the Fedora box?  Some of my hosts run
>> 'nscd' (which comes with glibc) and some run BIND in cache-only mode.
>>
> That's also, I believe, what a local "dnsmasq" would do.  But in order
> for the local Apache to use it, you'd have to set 127.0.0.1 as a
> resolver in /etc/resolv.conf, which apparently is not the case here.
>
> To get back to the basic issue..
> We seem to have, on the same host
> - an "old" Apache configuration, which does not trigger client DNS names
> lookups
> - a "new" Apache configuration, which does
> Yes ?
>
> So I guess we can exclude for the time being the possibility that it
> might be something else than Apache which does the lookups (I was
> thinking of denyhosts or the like).
>
> Next obvious question : what's the difference between the old and new
> configurations ? (sorry if that was explained before, I did not get back
> to the archives).
> Do I vaguely remember it had something to do with SSL, or was that
> another thread ?

Add-on : I guess something else that could trigger lookups, are
Allow/Deny directives, if you have things like "Allow from .domain.com".
Or, let's be fancy : some nice little thingy that displays in shapes and
colors the accesses by domains, or some sophisticated SSI include which
somehow does a lookup of the client...
As someone else mentioned, without having a real peek at your full
configuration, its a bit tedious to make guesses.

If it is about SSL - not my domain at all - then maybe someone else
could tell us what kind of SSL configuration could trigger a client name
lookup ? (I would imagine that the use of client certs does).