httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: excessive dns slows httpd
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 18:55:14 GMT
Mark H. Wood wrote:
> Local DNS cache of some sort on the Fedora box?  Some of my hosts run
> 'nscd' (which comes with glibc) and some run BIND in cache-only mode.

That's also, I believe, what a local "dnsmasq" would do.  But in order
for the local Apache to use it, you'd have to set 127.0.0.1 as a
resolver in /etc/resolv.conf, which apparently is not the case here.

To get back to the basic issue..
We seem to have, on the same host
- an "old" Apache configuration, which does not trigger client DNS names
lookups
- a "new" Apache configuration, which does
Yes ?

So I guess we can exclude for the time being the possibility that it
might be something else than Apache which does the lookups (I was
thinking of denyhosts or the like).

Next obvious question : what's the difference between the old and new
configurations ? (sorry if that was explained before, I did not get back
to the archives).
Do I vaguely remember it had something to do with SSL, or was that
another thread ?