httpd-users mailing list archives

From Henry <he...@cityweb.co.za>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_disk_cache and caching same content for all users
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:57:00 GMT
Quoting "Nick Kew" <nick@webthing.com>:
> Read the HTTP spec!  The server has declared that it will serve a
> *different* page to a different user agent.
>
> If that's for the web - as opposed to an application that's limited
> to your choice of user-agents, then it's certainly wrong.
> Either it's bogus (i.e. the server will do no such thing)
> or BAD (Broken As Designed).  So getting rid of it would be a
> very good idea.

Thanks for that.  Not sure what you're saying WRT my question, but can
I infer from what you're saying that you cannot force caching of same
content for all user-agents?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be much point in
mod_disk_cache if it's not caching for all across the board.

Would be nice to be able to this at the server level -- my next option
is to simply perform application-level caching and be done with it.

Thanks
Henry