httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jos Chrispijn <apa...@webrz.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Cron to check that domains are running
Date Sun, 26 Jul 2009 09:39:36 GMT
sbogde wrote:
> I'm upset because sometimes (rarely, though) I discovered (by opening
> www.domainX.com in the browser) that my domains did not work and I had to
> restart apache using my root privileges.

I think it is worth first to find out why this happens. Did you
investigate your logfiles?

> Do you have any idea how can I automatically check if such a situation
> occurs again? A cron job or something like that?

If you really want to solve this problem by running a cronjob, you might
put it something like

30  *     *     *     *    root    /cronjobs/resQmyhttpd.run

resQmyhttpd.run:
apachectl stop
apachectl start

be aware that if there are visitors online, they might be (temporarilly)
disconnect by this action.

Jos Chrispijn