httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Cutting <...@blaxhall.com>
Subject [users@httpd] MaxRequestsPerChild and MaxKeepAliveRequests clarification
Date Sun, 26 Jul 2009 08:05:40 GMT
Hi all,

I'm running Apache 2.2.9 on a machine with 4G of RAM, and the server
experiences about 100,000 hits a day, ~1G bandwidth and about 30,000
page requests.

It's running several instances of a large PHP web app so there are
comparatively few users who between them request many pages each.

I'm trying to work out the optimal settings for the server - I used to
have MaxRequestsPerChild set to 2000 and MaxKeepAliveRequests at 300 -
but the server started swapping towards the end of each day.

I read somewhere that when the MaxKeepAliveRequests directive is set,
each server will actually serve MaxKeepAliveRequests multiplied by
MaxRequestsPerChild before it dies - which in my case was 600,000
requests. Is this indeed correct? I'm keen to make the best use of the
memory but at present have set MRPC down to 300 and memory use has
stabilised. Any advice on the optimal balance between the two settings
would be very much appreciated,

thanks, Jon.

Current apache2.conf:

MaxKeepAliveRequests 300