httpd-users mailing list archives

From Paul Leder <sa212+mi...@cyconix.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Falling off the end of a directory listing
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:28:33 GMT
I've spent the last hour Googling this, without success...

Problem: is there some way to allow a directory listing which includes a
'parent' link, but *only* up to a specified top level?

In more detail, I have a site which is rooted at /var/www/html/foo.
There are some download files, which I've placed in a directory
structure at /var/www/html/foo/downloads. The user can reach the
download directory at http://www.bar.com/downloads.

There is quite a complex directory structure at 'downloads', so I've
enabled directory listing. The problem is that the user can navigate up
through the parent links all the way up to /var/www/html/foo, at which
point they get a canned version of the main site in the download window.

This doesn't really matter if the user entered the downloads URL
directly in a full-sized browser window; they just see the website.
However, the normal way to get to the downloads is via a link on the
site, which opens a small pop-up window. If they navigate up too far in
this pop-up then they just see a mess.

Ideally, the 'parent' link should disappear when the user reaches
/var/www/html/foo/downloads.

Any ideas?

Thanks -

Paul