httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Auth and server-side auto-login
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:38:45 GMT
Pascal S. Clermont wrote:
> Server version: Apache/2.0.52
> Server built:   Oct 29 2008 09:20:05
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 7)

> I would like to know if there is a possible way for apache to auto-login
> anyone coming from the 192.168.1 network to a specific user?
> This would be great if it required 0 client-side setup ( completely
> transparent ) and for the 192.168.2 network a login/pass would be asked
> to the user.

That, and quite a few other things, is relatively trivial to solve using
mod_perl.  Are you running mod_perl on that server ?

If not, and you don't want to :

I had a quick look at the available Apache modules (on the Apache site),
and I can not find one that would do this.
I kind of see the beginning of a solution by using

SetEnvIf Remote_Addr "^192\.168\.1\.\d{1,3}$" REMOTE_USER=LOCAL_IP

which would set the internal Apache variable REMOTE_USER, but then I
don't see how to carry this further into the internal Apache "userid"
request field.
Maybe someone else knows ?