httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How do I follow the XHTML Content-Type recommendations?
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:31:00 GMT
Darxus@ChaosReigns.com wrote:
> If a client requests an XHTML file, it says to do normal
> content-negotiation.

No, if a client asks for the URL "/abc/file.html", it wants the resource
corresponding to that URL.

   If the client's HTTP Accept header says they like
> text/html more, send them that.
/This/ is where content negociation starts, /if/ the server happens to
have more that one representation of the requested resource available.
The client indicates a /preference/ for one or the other representation
of the resource, /in case/ the server has several.

   If it says they like application/xhtml+xml
> more, ... (and if we have it) ... send them that.

kind of, but it's either, or.

> Fine.  I have even done that successfully with two different files.
>
> Except I can't figure out how to provide multiple Content-Types for a
> single file.

Logical, because you can't.  One document/file has only one MIME type,
not several.

Unless you mean what is described here :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/content-negotiation.html
(Read it, don't just guess how it works)

The server /tries/ to find the alternative file which matches the client
preferences best.  Once it finds it, it will send /that/ file, with the
MIME type of /that/ file in the Content-type header.

   And I don't think creating multiple copies of the document
> (even with linkes) is an appropriate solution.
>
>    AddType "application/xhtml+xml,text/html; qs=0.01" .html

What makes you think that you can do that ?
Not this :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_mime.html#addtype
The first argument to the AddType directive is /one/ MIME media type,
not several, and no parameters.  The following argument(s) is a list of
possible extensions.

> Tells the client "Content-Type: cation/xhtml+xml,text/html; qs=0.01",
> which is no good.

No, and it's even invalid.
See http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2616.html, 3.7 & 14.17

is a valid header, the above is not.

> An apache type-map always returns the Content-Type specified by AddType in
> my main apache config file.
Re-read
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_mime.html#addtype

I believe you are a bit confused.
Your typemap file has the same mistake.

Because of that, your later tests do not make much sense.