httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problem getting the sample perl script to run on the apache http server
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2009 18:57:56 GMT
Chintan Kachhi wrote:
> Hello,
> I just installed apache http server version 2.2 on my local machine. I
> copied a sample hello world perl script under the cgi-bin directory of the
> Apache installation folder and named it first.pl. When I put
> http://hostnamein the web browser url, it shows that the server is
> installed, since it
> displays the message, '*It works!'. *However when I try to run the script
> typing the following in the browser: http://hostname/cgi-bin/first.pl , it
> gives me the error: 500 Internal Server ErrorInternal Server Error
>
> The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable
> to complete your request.
>
> Please contact the server administrator, admin@hostname and inform them of
> the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have
> caused the error.

So, have you done that ?
;-)
(*)

> More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
>

> Looking through the error log, it shows me the following message : [Wed Jul
> 01 13:33:18 2009] [error] [client 10.184.226.251] (OS 3)The system cannot
> find the path specified.  : couldn't create child process: 720003: first.pl
> [Wed Jul 01 13:33:18 2009] [error] [client 10.184.226.251] (OS 3)The system
> cannot find the path specified.  : couldn't spawn child process: C:/Apache
> Software Foundation/Apache2.2/cgi-bin/first.pl

Aha, so it is Windows !

>  Is there something that I am missing or doing wrong?

What you did above was correct, but maybe you are missing this part :

1) did you install perl on that machine ?
If not, download and install from here :
http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/
2) if/when you installed perl, make sure that the first line of your
script looks like :
#!c:/perl/bin/perl.exe
(or wherever perl.exe is)

then try again.

And welcome to the world of Apache + perl.  It's fun. Really, you'll see.

(*) you can change that address in the Apache configuration file. Look
for "ServerAdmin".