httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ray Van Dolson <rvandol...@esri.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Using SetEnvIf on response headers
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2009 23:01:34 GMT
On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 03:35:58PM -0700, André Warnier wrote:
> Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> > Hi all;
> >
> > I'm trying to strip out NTLM as an authentication option from response
> > packets (my Apache is acting as a reverse proxy).
>
> By curiosity, what does this achieve ?
> If the origin server requires NTLM authentication for a resource, it is
> unlikely to be happy with a Basic authentication coming back from the
> browser.

The server allows both NTLM and Basic (multiple WWW-Authenticate
headers are transmitted).  The client insists on using NTLM if it's
available which doesn't work properly in a reverse proxy setup (at
least as far as I understand it).

If I remove the NTLM header, the client falls back to Basic and all
works correctly.

The client is BIS (Blackberry) so unfortunately I can't change its
behavior. :)

Ray